Friday, September 13, 2013

The Journey of Hernando Cortes

 HERNANDO CORTES


My name is Hernando Cortes and this is my story.

1518
I heard many stories about the mysterious new world and I wanted to be part of it.  I am eager for more power and fortune so I have persuaded the Cuban governor into letting me lead an expedition to Mexico.

1519
We arrived in Mexico and the crew is excited about the gold and jewels we will find.  I brought about 600 men and a few horses.  On the journey to the Aztec empire I encountered a native tribe called the Tlaxcalans who are enemies of the Aztecs. We quickly became friends and I have convinced them to help us against the Aztecs.

November 1519
After a difficult three-month journey, my men and I have made it to the capital city of the Aztec empire called Tenochtitlan.  I met with their leader Montezuma. We believe that they are not very smart as us Europeans and will be easily governed by Spain.  They think that I am a god and they gave us lavish gifts.  I was afraid and I believe that the Aztecs would want to get rid of us soon so we took Montezuma hostage and I asked for a large ransom of gold and jewels.  The Aztecs tried to revolt against us and I ordered my men to stone their leader to death.  We were driven out of the Aztec empire but not for long.  We shall be back to claim what is ours.


Aztecs treating me like a god.


We have captured Montezuma.



Summer 1521
My men and I regrouped and we took over Tenochtitlan, by surprise.  We have killed these Aztecs savages who resisted us and enslaved the rest.  We will bring Christianity in the name of Spain. Mexico City is being built over the Aztec empire and many Spanish colonists have been arriving to the new territory called New Spain.  


Fighting the Aztecs.


Mexico City being built.

1523
Because of my many conquests, I became very wealthy and popular back in Spain.  The king of Spain had made me governor and captain general of New Spain.

1528
Rumors have turned the Spanish government against me, they think I am getting out of control with the power I have.  I must go back to Spain to persuade the king that I am innocent.

1536
I have convinced the king to let me come back to Mexico.  The king has reinstated me as Captain General but will not let me keep the job as governor.  I am constantly being watched.  I have brought great wealth to Spain and this is how they treat me.

1547
I am angry by the way I have been treated.  I have come back to Spain.  I fear that I am close to death and I want people to know my legacy and be inspired by what I have accomplished.



Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment